Sunday, August 28, 2005

Patriotic decals

I added the CVA-43 [U.S.S. Coral Sea Attack Aircraft Carrier Hull # 43] when I added the Scad-A-Bout vinyl, to my hatch, so I began to add others that meant something to me personally, underneath the CVA-43 is the Viet-Nam Service Medal colors, below that of course is the American Flag and under that in gold barely visible is my Navy Rating ABH, which means I was an Aviation Boatswain's Mate - Handling, [Blue Shirt].
"Aviation Boatswain's Mates play a major part in launching and recovering naval aircraft quickly and safely from land or ships. This includes aircraft handling, fire fighting and salvage and rescue operations.

The duties performed by ABHs includes the supervising the movement, spotting and securing of aircraft and equipment ashore and afloat, and performing crash rescue, fire fighting, crash removal and damage control duties in connection with launching and recovery of aircraft.

Most of the work in this rating is performed outdoors on the deck of aircraft carriers, in all climatic conditions, in fast-paced and often potentially hazardous environments. ABs work closely with others in aviation ratings."

No comments: